Mea Culpa
Guess what I did today? That’s right, work.
I spent some time in an air conditioned library, working on my thesis AND blogging. Let me assure you that my multi-tasking skills are alive and well, though I had assumed atrophy after being out of work for so long.
But, the reason that I worked is that last night I did a bad thing. I played Civilization for two and a half hours. One hundred and fifty minutes of my life. I beat the game (by Domination Victory, for my fellow nerdlingers’ information)—that’s the good news. The bad news is that I ended up with a stiff neck, sore bum, and wicked headache.
So I went to bed feeling bad about so much time just plain old WASTED. But in the morning, after L tossed me in the shower and dragged me to school (somewhat against my will), I felt much better about my self.
This taught me that I should continue to do things I regret because guilt is my one and only motivation.
I spent some time in an air conditioned library, working on my thesis AND blogging. Let me assure you that my multi-tasking skills are alive and well, though I had assumed atrophy after being out of work for so long.
But, the reason that I worked is that last night I did a bad thing. I played Civilization for two and a half hours. One hundred and fifty minutes of my life. I beat the game (by Domination Victory, for my fellow nerdlingers’ information)—that’s the good news. The bad news is that I ended up with a stiff neck, sore bum, and wicked headache.
So I went to bed feeling bad about so much time just plain old WASTED. But in the morning, after L tossed me in the shower and dragged me to school (somewhat against my will), I felt much better about my self.
This taught me that I should continue to do things I regret because guilt is my one and only motivation.

4 Comments:
You should never feel guilty about playing Civ after beating it. I have yet to get past being as effective as Dan Quayle!
By
Anonymous, at July 26, 2006
I'll tell you my secret for being as effective as Augustus Ceaser....play on a tiny world....difficulty level: settler.
Technically, it's not cheating.
By
Daniela, at July 26, 2006
"...after L tossed me in the shower."
Such a very different meaning this side of the Atlantic.
By
Martyn, at July 27, 2006
REALLY? "Tossed"??? Do you mean like "tossed salad"?
By
Daniela, at July 27, 2006
Post a Comment
<< Home