A Biased, Myopic Account of Mundane Events

Sunday, October 22, 2006

The Elderly Like Music Too

I've been watching a lot of MUCH music lately. Mostly because while sick last week I languished on the sofa and discovered that there is nothing on TV in the afternoon. (Oprah, cheesy soaps, and Beverly Hills 90210 reruns are not viable options for me, sorry.) So, I wandered over to MUCH and discovered that I am rather out of touch with what is "cool" these days.

Who is Rihana? Has anyone actually heard the lyrics to that Fall Out Boy song?

"We're going down, down in an earlier round
And Sugar, we're going down swinging
I'll be your number one with a bullet
A loaded God complex, cock it and pull it"


I tried. I made an effort to sing along. I tried to say out loud that "Fall Out Boy is awesome." But the words curdled in my mouth. And My Chemical Romance's lead singer is trying to look like Billy Corrigan. I shouldn't have to like mediocre music to feel young, right?

Although, when I was young I distinctly remember my father telling me that Nirvana and Pearl Jam were mediocre and ripping off 60s artists. So, maybe I am just feeling the musical apathy appropriate for my maturity. And this is not to say that I don't like some new groups...so it's not totally hopeless, right?

Consequently, I have surmised that it's not about being old or young, it's about the ridiculous amount of crappy pop that's out there and it's about how stupendous my musical taste clearly is.

Case Closed.

5 Comments:

  • My sweet lord Daniella. I first heard that song in Florida last October. You are 12 months out, though I do believe they were never cool.

    Go see Hot chip...go see Hot Chip...go see Hot Chip...and so on and so forth. They are cool geeks. But don't let your child near the one with the 'tache.

    By Blogger Martyn, at October 23, 2006  

  • i think my itunes habit has been inspired by your latest rant... erm... blog. i've spent the evening tracking down all the smashing pumpkins b-sides that were missing from my rather extensive collection.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at October 23, 2006  

  • I have to admit, I was a diehard MuchMusic fan till about 2004. It was pretty much the soundtrack of my daily life, always on in the background. But these days, I can't stomach the stuff, although having younger siblings and satelite radio pretty much ensures that I hear most of what the "kids" are listening to these days. I've never boasted particularly sophisticated tastes in music, so I wonder, what's brought on the change? Are we actually inundated with mass amounts of crappy pop, or is our negative perception of this music part of the inevitable disillusionment that everyone experiences when they realize that what they like is no longer "cool"? It may not be an age thing...yet contemplating it makes me feel oh so very old...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at October 24, 2006  

  • Daniela I'm so happy to hear I'm not the only one shunning what passes for music these days. For the first time in my life, I spent a one-hour car drive listening to classical music. I hope, as you say, it's a sign of maturity! Hope you're feeling better these days?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 04, 2006  

  • I know! If you had told me ten years ago that I would enjoy news talk radio on a car drive because laughing at crazy conservatives makes my heart sparkle-- I would have scoffed a "whatever" your way and turned up my latests top 40 fave. :)

    By Blogger Daniela, at November 04, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home