Violated by a Worm
--This one goes out to my dear friend Ivia in D.C.
I nearly died today.
I was on my way home from Old Navy (it's like crack...but on sale) when I saw something long and green out of the corner of my eye. While driving 60km/hr, I craned my neck to see what it could be; to my horror I discovered it was one of those disgusting worms that slink down from trees around this time of year. I tried to watch the road, but something instinctual, but terribly misguided, in me seemed to insist that the worm was a much greater threat than other vehicles. So I watched the worm make its descent from the top of my driver's side window and onto my blouse.
I cringed. It was bloody awful. My brain was flooded by scenes from movies: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom--the blond girl wanders into a tunnel that is populated entirely by giant insects; King Kong (the recent and terrible)--the blond girl has to choose between getting felt up by large insects or be eaten by a dinosaur...for some reason she chooses the insects.
My breathing became labored--I could not hold back a terrified squeal, which might have been a less embarrassing, but a more unwarranted, scream if I didn't exert a bit of self-control. But, finally I saw a side street, which I quickly turned down. I found an out of the way spot, pulled on the e-brake, released the seatbelt, flung the door open, and stepped carefully (yet hastily, lemme tell ya!) out of the car. I didn't want to smush the creature onto myself...or anger it in any way.
Having established it's exact location on my garment, I proceeded to execute the Ridoworm Manouever--which is a fancy name for shaking shirts and flicking fingers.
The worm was dispatched.
I returned to my vehicle and drove away, but I still feel like something might be crawling on me.
Will that feeling ever subside?
I nearly died today.
I was on my way home from Old Navy (it's like crack...but on sale) when I saw something long and green out of the corner of my eye. While driving 60km/hr, I craned my neck to see what it could be; to my horror I discovered it was one of those disgusting worms that slink down from trees around this time of year. I tried to watch the road, but something instinctual, but terribly misguided, in me seemed to insist that the worm was a much greater threat than other vehicles. So I watched the worm make its descent from the top of my driver's side window and onto my blouse.
I cringed. It was bloody awful. My brain was flooded by scenes from movies: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom--the blond girl wanders into a tunnel that is populated entirely by giant insects; King Kong (the recent and terrible)--the blond girl has to choose between getting felt up by large insects or be eaten by a dinosaur...for some reason she chooses the insects.
My breathing became labored--I could not hold back a terrified squeal, which might have been a less embarrassing, but a more unwarranted, scream if I didn't exert a bit of self-control. But, finally I saw a side street, which I quickly turned down. I found an out of the way spot, pulled on the e-brake, released the seatbelt, flung the door open, and stepped carefully (yet hastily, lemme tell ya!) out of the car. I didn't want to smush the creature onto myself...or anger it in any way.
Having established it's exact location on my garment, I proceeded to execute the Ridoworm Manouever--which is a fancy name for shaking shirts and flicking fingers.
The worm was dispatched.
I returned to my vehicle and drove away, but I still feel like something might be crawling on me.
Will that feeling ever subside?
7 Comments:
Not if I can help it.
By
Lindell, at June 25, 2006
those green worms are truly disgusting. i am shuddering for you.
By
Fluffica, at June 25, 2006
I give full props for pulling into a side alley. More restraint than I would have had...
By
Earl the Girl, at June 26, 2006
I would've driven my car headlong into a wall, hoping that the impact smashed the tiny critters eye's into its arsehole. Then hope that the car isn't too badly damaged, then drive myself to the hospital.
But I suppose we all have our own way of dealing of such things.
By
Martyn, at June 26, 2006
Thank you all for your sympathy in these trying times. Especially you, Martyn....maybe you should come to group with me, it seems like you have a few issues to work out. VOWA (Victims of Worm Abuse) meet every Wednesday night at the Y--think about it.
By
Daniela, at June 26, 2006
Thanks for the dedication. I can completely relate considering I was a virtual shut-in during the cicada season in DC. I must admit your technique of pulling over was more dignified than my running down sidewalks, arms flailing hoping I wouldn't be mistaken for a large tree.
By
Anonymous, at June 27, 2006
Ahhh but cicadas are infinitely grosser than green worms!
Shudder.
By
Daniela, at June 27, 2006
Post a Comment
<< Home