A Biased, Myopic Account of Mundane Events

Monday, March 19, 2007

Cheesy Mountain Climber Metaphor

I've dedicated the last three or so years of my life to one sad little woman with no life, who struggles to survive in an odd foreign town. No it's not me, though it does kinda sound like me,--it's Lucy Snowe.

Sigh. I wish I knew how to quit you, Lucy Fuckin' Twist. (Funniest, drammatic line ever, by the way.)

But back to the subject at hand. I've been climbing Mount Bronte for a long time. I have suffered hypothermia (i.e. writer's block), frost bite(i.e. getting comments back from advisors), and lack of oxygen (i.e. grad student dementia) and now I can finally see the peak.

Although, I must say, it's been a notable experience. I can't remember another time in my life when it seemed somehow okay that I sat the tub of Becel on a hot burner, effectively melting the plastic and unleashing a mighty river of omega-3 rich margarine. But if you need another example, how about the fact that I have found the need to establish a code word ("muskrat" or "marmaduke....or any "m" word, really) to stop me from discussing "lady problems" when I've had a few too many pints. When else will muttering the words "writer's block" excuse a lack of personal hygiene and antisocial behavior? Perhaps I will never again justify the excessive baking of cookies, quiches, pies, cakes, breads and other fattening carbohydrates with the words "I got comments back and I don't want to read them yet."

I wonder....when I finish my thesis will I cease to read PHD comics and resume my following of Dilbert (which didn't seem as funny after I lost my cubicle)? I wonder if I'll manage to stay up for the Daily Show AND the Colbert Report?

Back when I was a working girl (though not THAT kind of working girl), sleeping in on the weekend meant 9am. I wonder if I'll miss my grad-student-weekday-wakeup-time: 10:30 am?

Anyhow, to wrap up my cheesy mountain climber metaphor: the clouds are rolling in and I have to set up camp for the night. Tomorrow we have another hard day of climbing ahead before we reach our next word count.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home